September 17, 2026

Fifteen Things by Susan Barclay

From DraCat on Pixabay


This month’s prompt asks us to identify ten things we will be doing in the last four months of 2026. Whether short-term goals, intentional practices, writing tasks, or other, the idea is to put into words our hopes, dreams, or current reality.


As a full-time caregiver to my elderly mom who lives with us, at first I was daunted by the request to come up with ten things. When I thought about it, however, it was actually pretty easy.
1. I will continue to give care for as long as necessary/feasible. Admittedly, because caregiving is difficult and my mom doesn’t seem to be getting any better (or progress is extremely slow), I pray that God will be merciful to her and to us in this season.
2. I’ll continue to participate in two in-person book clubs and read a minimum of two books per month.
3. I’ll continue to participate in the life of my church through our small group and the 55+ ministry.
4. I’ll continue to exercise daily, a practice I began on July 6 this year, after neglecting self-care far too long. I strength train my arms every other day and do some form of cardio as well as focus on core and posture every day.
5. My husband and I have been wanting to take ballroom dance classes for some time now. This fall is the year! I will complete an 8 week session (two classes are already behind us). Before this we were kitchen dancers only! We will see what we become. So far, so-so.
6. I’ll continue to help my daughter and her fiancĂ© plan for their wedding.
7. My husband and I will get away for our 33rd wedding anniversary. Only for 24 hours or so, but any getaway is a blessing.
8. My high school is celebrating its 90th anniversary this fall. Having missed the 75th anniversary and most class reunions, I already have my ticket for the 6-hour event. Looking forward to seeing some “old” and friendly faces from just a “few” years ago.
9. I’ll complete my Christmas shopping on time and on budget.
10. I’ll try to stick to a house cleaning regimen.
11. I’ll try to limit scrolling to 15 minutes a day by setting a timer.
12. I’ll try to drink 16 oz of water a day. I know this is much less than the recommended amount, but it’s a realistic amount for me since I tend not to drink more than 4 oz. Unless you count coffee, tea, and juice!
13. My husband I usually read the Bible and a devotional before bed when we are exhausted and yawning. My plan is to shift this to the morning when we are more alert. Reading the Word early sets the tone for the rest of the day.
14. I’ll continue to pray continuously. And finally,
15. I’ll keep writing monthly posts for Inscribe Writers Online. It’s the one writing activity I can currently manage.

And there you have it – a list of 15 things when I was daunted by the thought of ten. You might say I got carried away. Only time will prove how successful I am, but in writing it all down I feel a certain measure of accountability and resolve. I also feel that there’s room for grace in the things I will try to do. I am just one person. I am only human. I’ll take it one day at a time.
___________________


For more about Susan Barclay and her writing, please visit www.susan-barclay.blogspot.com

10 comments:

  1. This is a great list, Susan, and covers so many areas of your life. Ballroom dancing classes sound like lots of fun. Thank you for committing to writing monthly InScribe posts. All of us can learn from each other in the various stages of life. And congratulations on 33 years of marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such ambition! I admire your determination. May success be yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! May the Force (God) be with me!

      Delete
  3. Love your list and glad you will get a small break to mark your anniversary and take ballroom dancing. Movement and music can be a healing balm. Also appreciate that you are giving yourself grace. Thank you, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. We enjoyed our break this past weekend. Stayed at a quiet and peaceful B&B near a river. Went walking in nature. Had a pretty good and uninterrupted sleep. Didn't have to prepare/cook meals!

      Movement and music are healing; also good exercise and mood-boosters. As for grace, I need a lot of it. Thank God, His mercies are new every morning!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your list with us, Susan. Caregiving, as you know, seems to be endless, yet necessary at times in life. You are to be commended for your devotion to your mother. May the Lord continue to give you and your husband daily strength for the day. Blessings to you, your hubby, and your mother, as well as your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Alan. This is a difficult season indeed and prayers and blessings are most welcome, May the Lord bless you, your wife, and your family as well. May He be good to us all!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5:50 am GMT-7

    Thanks for sharing. It seems so many of us are caring for our parents in this season of life. It’s sometimes difficult to find the time, or energy, to tackle our own to-dos. I hope you are able to enjoy your anniversary getaway. Oh, and there’s something special about kitchen dancers.

    Dana-Lyn Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading about your plans, Susan, for the coming months. Happy anniversary, and I hope those ballroom dance lessons give delight and fun. (That was something my husband and I planned to do when we first got married 28 years ago -- it's still on the list. Maybe we should just sign up and go for it.) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that comments are moderated to deter spam which is why your comment will not appear immediately.

If you sign in using "Anonymous", could you leave your name along with your comment so we know who left it.

Thank so much for taking the time to join in the conversation. We appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you've found helpful or meaningful in some way.