September 02, 2026

Lucky 13 Things in Four Months by Bob Jones



We were asked to write about ten things we'll be doing in the next four months. My first thought was, “Only ten?” And then I read the rest of the prompt and saw that we could choose any number we like. So, I cooked up a baker’s dozen.

I'm lucky, or blessed I get to do these.

Number 1

In November my wife and I will be leaving for a month for Ukraine. It is an arduous journey for 70+ year-olds, flying from Edmonton to Toronto to Krakow, then transferring to a van to cross the Polish/Ukrainian border and arrive in Lviv. After teaching for a week in a seminary there'll be more cars, vans, and trains deep into eastern Ukraine.

The two days before writing this post have been the worst of the entire 4 /12 year war in Ukraine. Massive missile, rocket, and drone attacks with horrendous deaths of children and civilians. The most tragic happened on Ukrainian Knowledge Day, the first day back to school, September 1st. Imagine your children or grandchildren with no sleep the night before because of air raids, trying to find refuge in a bomb shelter and the next morning getting dressed up to go to school and gather again in a bomb shelter.

If you know Ukrainians, you won't be surprised that the children sing in those situations.

Number 2 

In the meantime, my wife and I are raising funds to assist in rebuilding churches and deliver humanitarian aid to the front lines. Our goal is $20,000CAN. We’re at $12,500 and change.

Number 3 

I've been writing a seven-session curriculum for pastors over the last nine months. After recruiting and training 25 facilitators and apprentices, we launched the cohorts September 1st across Alberta and the Northwest Territories.

Number 4

I'm overseeing the translation and production of a book in Ukrainian for pastors.

Number 5 

And I decided that I should endeavor to keep my mind sharp and started a Masters of Leadership and Systems (MALTS) at Briercrest College. That begins in six days.

Number 6 

Before we leave for Ukraine, I'll be traveling to the Maritimes to work with pastors in Halifax and neighbouring communities, as well as up to Peace Country in Alberta, down to Calgary, and just West of Edmonton in Spruce Grove. We’ll be working as teams to listen to God’s voice and discern the Spirit’s specific vision for each church to reach their community with the love of Jesus.

Number 7

My practise for the last seven years was to write three blogs a week for REVwords. Most likely, and prudently, I will have to cut back back to two or even possibly one per week with all that's going on.

Number 8

The blog content will be heavy on justice in Alberta and Ukraine. I’ll be speaking on those subjects in churches over the next four months. I imagine I'll be extra engaged prior to October 19th and the Alberta referendum. I also post on Substack.

Number 9

My to-read list consists of books that would source my knowledge in theology and justice. And my college textbooks will make the list a little longer.

Number 10

This week I start writing a seminary course for Growing an Effective Great Commission Church, to be completed by November 1st.

Number 11 

I've been asked to write social media prayers for Alberta MLAs in support of Pray Alberta. Isn’t that great?!

Number 12 

As well, I write prayers for Ukraine. That’s better than bombs.

Number 13

I will be experimenting on how to add an extra day of work to each week over the next four months.  

What are your goals? And if you need an extra one, I could use help with #13.



Thank you for reading. My advice to you is keep your goals away from the trolls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are moderated to deter spam which is why your comment will not appear immediately.

If you sign in using "Anonymous", could you leave your name along with your comment so we know who left it.

Thank so much for taking the time to join in the conversation. We appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you've found helpful or meaningful in some way.