January 20, 2013

Keep It Simple - Brenda J Wood

The breeze from the open car window systematically emptied the tissue box in the back-seat. In my mind’s eye, these were blank pages, lost, never to be recaptured. Devotionals, short stories, prayers, books, were all gone in the twinkle of an eye.

What writer hasn’t had a dry patch? When the words won’t come, I read quotations from “writing writers.”

“The work of writing has the rhythm of a long distance runner with long, sometimes lonely stretches at a steady pace.” (Max Lucado)

“If I waited to feel inspired, I wouldn’t get much done. The real inspiration comes as I work.” (Don Bachelor)

“Want to write? Go at your life with a broad-axe.” (Anne Dillard)

“Make them laugh, cry, and wait.” (Charles Dickens)

“Those who never, ever write will never ever be read.” (Unknown)

2 Timothy 4:2 -Proclaim the Message with intensity; keep your watch. Challenge, warn and urge your people. Don’t ever quit. Just keep it simple (MSG).

All of us have a story to tell. Close the car windows, sit down at your desk, and begin.

Psalm 45:1- My heart overflows with a good theme, I address my verses to the King; my tongue is the pen of a ready writer (NASB).


Prayer:  God, forgive us when we keep your best to ourselves. Amen

5 comments:

  1. This is so-o-o true! Brenda, thanks for reminding us how important it is just to sit down and type. It helps to pray as you go, too. Sometimes the hump you have to get over is bigger than at other times, but persistence does pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to hear this again and again. Well said, Brenda. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brenda:
    I particularly like Dickens' quote.
    With his record, It's worth making this part of our writing too. We all like to laugh, even cry a little.
    And suspense keeps us reading!
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I particularly liked the opening imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read your blog again.
    I doubt I'll ever pull another tissue without thinking of your analogy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.