June 20, 2017

Journaling Rambles by Joylene M. Bailey




Photo courtesy of Pixabay

Wow, the 20th of the month is here again! How did that happen?  Again, I’m stumped for what to write for InScribe Writers Online. Why do I always feel like I have nothing to contribute?

This month's topic is journaling and writer's notebooks. Oh boy. I wish I were a more consistent journaler. I might actually have something to share then. But I’m more of a spurtster, like Glynis.

Hmmm, it looks like a lot of the writers this month have several journals for different things. Me too! Only, so many of my journals had great beginnings and then petered out.  I have a whole drawerful of enticing journals, just waiting to be filled.

I love journals - give me a journal and you’re my friend for life. And I love the idea of journaling everyday, sitting in a fragrant and shady corner of my yard on a sun-dappled day putting down words of beauty, encouragement, wisdom and wit. In reality that’s not what happens at all.



Oh man, do I have anything at all to share on this topic? Let’s see, what do I seem to be writing down these days?

Oh! I have that quote notebook I have been keeping for years. I wonder if that counts. I also started that JOY journal – in fact I think I started two … No, those aren’t even worth mentioning.

I guess I do have my prayer/devotional journal that includes sermon and teaching notes. But then when Sweetie called in the middle of the night to say the twins were born, that was the nearest paper to hand, and I opened to the back page to write down the little boys’ names, weights, times of birth, what the names meant, and even how long she pushed for each one! Then I took that journal to Manitoba when I went to help with the twins, and continued from the back to the front, writing little rhyming verses and songs for 3-year-old Little Man. Now I even have jot notes for blog posts in there and a whole list of Edmonton Sites to See This Summer. Again, back to front. What kind of journal is that?


There must be another legitimate journal that’s worth sharing about …
I have that junk-drawer-journal. Everything but the kitchen sink in that one. Anybody else reading it would be so confused. Email addresses, books I want to read, somebody’s very detailed dream, accounting figures, lists, quotes, passwords, definitions, schedules, flight times … You name it, it’s in there. Nah, this journal would never count.

I did start “Morning Pages”, as suggested by Julia Cameron in The Artist’s Way. I appreciated that exercise, I think I’d like to get back to that. I also love the sound of an Artist’s Daybook that Sandi Somers mentioned in her post. It has a nice ring to it. Yes, “Morning Pages” and my Artist’s Daybook, those will be goals for my summer writing.

But to get back to my journal post … The only valid journal I might be able to share about is my In the Coffee Shop, In the Library one I started in September as an exercise to get me out of the house when I was on doctor’s orders to rest. It was fun to just sit and write down observations in coffee shops and libraries, and a good exercise in coming up with the right words on the spot. But then came surgery, 6 weeks of recovery, and then right away off to look after grandchildren, including the newborns. I haven’t written in that thing for at least 3 months.

It seems I’m not currently journaling at all.


So, it’s finally happened … I have absolutely nothing to contribute this month. Zilch. Zero.
I might as well go find the topic for next month and get a head start on that.


****************




Joylene journals about not journaling from her home in Edmonton where she is resting up after 6 weeks of looking after grandchildren. 
Find more of her writing at Scraps of Joy.











13 comments:

  1. Such a long list of illegitimate journalling. Too bad you've never figured out how to do it properly! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny! And in all that rambling you actually came up with what most of us were talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but why is it, for some reason I have this idea in my head about what perfect journaling should look like. And I just don't measure up! Haha.

      Delete
  3. I'm grinning from ear to ear. Loved your non-journaling journey. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Brenda. Glad I could make you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very honest and funny too. Sometimes we have all the right intentions and things just don't get done - something like your journaling. But I do like the part about "give me a journal and you're my friend for life." If we ever meet in person I know just how to seal our friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooo, that sounds promising! Looking forward to meeting you, Vickie. 😊

      Delete
  6. Oh, Joy, I'm chuckling, because I had some of those "junk drawer" journals too. As teachers back in the day, we would be given big fat notebooks especially laid out for teachers. I kept student grades in the back, but I had my own binder for lesson plans. At the end of the term, I would rip out the student grades and the notebook as a sort-of-journal.

    My notes included early morning poetry, evening prayers, a diagram of our large garden, what kind of seeds to buy, anecdotes of the cute things are kids said and did, recipes, plus the kinds of things you mentioned too. Hodge-podge City. In reading these disastrous journal over. we made find treasures among the smudges and coffee stains.

    Thanks for your light-hearted story of the journal that had a mind of its own. But, oh dear, those moments with new babies and a toddler who loved your rhymes. . . That is Joy, Jolene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, treasures can definitely be found in "Hodge-podge City", as you call it. Thanks, Sharon.

      Delete
  7. Hahaha. Such fun. Such truth and oh how I relate. Good job wading through and knowing not what to write right, Joylene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks for the plug on Facebook.

      Delete
  8. Haha, Joy, I'm with you all the way. In my prayer journal I also have my ticket numbers for a concert, a coffee date for a friend, and measurements for curtains. Not sure how much praying I was doing that day! Loved your contribution. What are you writing about next month? 😉😉 Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.