May 22, 2017

A Comfort Zone Without a Comforter by Alan Anderson



I love the writing prompt for this month. I want to give it a big verbal kiss! It has made me think deep and to choose my words with caution. The ghost of my “comfort zone” is looking over my shoulder as I write this autobiographical post.


The theme for this month’s blog is, “Out of your comfort zone.” Here are the prompt questions I will cover. “When has God nudged you out of your comfort zone, either in your faith life or your writing life? What fears did you face? What steps did you take (or not take) to leave your comfort zone? And what were the results? (Or perhaps God is nudging you now…)”


Please allow me to set the scene a bit for you. I lived my childhood primarily in a fantasyland of my own making. From my early years I tried to escape real life and what it confronted me with. I was shy, quiet and just wanted people to leave me alone. I took each day as it came. That was life. I didn’t expect anything special to come my way. As long as I could stay within myself it was okay. My life at this early age was my comfort zone. It was a comfort zone without a comforter.


When has God nudged you out of your comfort zone, either in your faith life or your writing life?” When I became aware of God’s love for me things changed slowly. I had to be sure God was real. That too would come slowly. My early thoughts of God were He was a big Meany! He was a Judge and I didn’t need another judge.


What fears did I face?
At first I didn’t face my fears for the most part because there were too many. I hid from them. They were bigger than me. I began to use humour to help me hide from me. In time, in years of time, humour would help me form a relationship with the world and myself. Humour slowly helped me face my fears by not allowing them to rule me anymore.


“What steps did you take (or not take) to leave your comfort zone?” I always took slow and small steps. I guess somewhere along the way of supposedly growing up, I wanted to have a less fearful relationship with life. My shyness pretty well stayed part of me into my teen years. I still much preferred my own company to that of having other people around. I worked hard at my self-awareness, at finding out about myself. That is still part of my journey today.


“And what were the results?” I began to come out of my comfort zone and saw the needs of others. To this day I resonate with those who hurt. I seem to naturally come alongside those in need of an ear and heart to listen to them. I guess in some way, I am a comforter to some.


 Even today I still have lots to learn about people, other God and myself. I think even with my last breath I will be amazed that God ordained me for good works. He ordained me? Me? I am thankful He knows what He is doing. I have a Comforter who is in the business of looking beyond my “comfort zone” and accepting me for who He made me to be. I’m cool with that now!




Blog: ScarredJoy@wordpress.com

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do so Tracy. I pray your journey continues to be healthy for you!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you and I shared some of those steps! It was great to get to know you a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was happy to finally meet you Ruth!

      Delete
  3. Alan! You are a trooper and a star. So thrilled I got to know you and that you have shared your wisdom in so many ways - through social media, through our book and through the private emails with words of encouragement and prayer. Great post. Thanks for sharing your vulnerable self. It's not easy, but it is effective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Glynis for being so wonderful and encouraging. I think spending time with my teachers taught me the honesty of showing my vulnerability. I had to overcome my tendency to hide myself. My writing helped me see myself!

      Delete
  4. It's good to hear part of your journey. It seems like a lot of us writers have had to step out of our comfort zone. Pam M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! Yes, and it can be scary to step out of our comfort zone. My guess is you can relate to my journey somehow. Yes?

      Delete
    2. Hi Alan, I didn't need to hide from reality when I was little. Thankfully I had wonderful, loving parents and a stable and adventurous childhood. However, I have always been really shy and anxious and have had to step out of my comfort zone whenever I am around people, which of course is most of the time! I appreciated your honesty.
      Pam M.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing the shy side of you - the side of you that has helped you become the person that you are today, helpful and compassionate. The world needs more people who are willing to provide comfort to those in need. Thanks for being you, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind comment Vickie. As I process what you say I reflect on the shyness of my childhood. I think the comfort I hope to give people also reflects the comfort I longed for as a boy. Thank you for your encouragement and the gift you are to others!

      Delete
  6. I appreciate how you say this, Alan: "I have a Comforter who is in the business of looking beyond my “comfort zone” and accepting me for who He made me to be. I’m cool with that now!" Thanks for sharing your story. Alan, and divulging the process of your becoming cool with God's ordaining you to serve him and others in love, openness and understanding. May we all allow God's Spirit to free us, as he has freed you. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. I'm a work under construction and realize I have a long way to go. Thank you for the encouraging companionship along the way!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.