May 25, 2013

Obedience vs Excellence -- by Bobbi Junior


I’m reading through Leviticus these days. Once again, I’m struck by the sheer number of laws decreed by God to the nation of Israel, to be followed for generations to come.

I asked God, how could they follow so many rules and regulations successfully?  I heard him speak to my spirit: ”I never asked them for excellence. I only asked them to obey.”

Often I’m hesitant to step out and act on what I feel the Lord wants me to do because I know I won’t excel. The process of writing sometimes falls victim to this lack of confidence. My ability is modest at best. Yet he says, “Do this wholeheartedly for me, not for man.”

I'm coming to understand that when man’s ability is modest, God’s excellence can shine through. Sadly, when man’s ability is excellent, God is often pushed out of the spotlight.

God is teaching me that if I step out for him alone, if I seek only his affirmation and encouragement, then he can take me a long way as I obey. There’s nothing wrong with enjoying the encouragement of others, but if I need their confirmation that my efforts are worthy, then, like a horse hobbled in a field, I’m not free to roam where God’s possibilities are waiting.

The measure is not whether I’m good enough to do what he’s asking me to do; it’s whether God is good enough to use my efforts to further his will. I know I don’t have the skills others have, and it can be a little unnerving to place my modest efforts out in the public eye for all the world to see. However, there is no doubt in my mind that God has the ability to use my efforts beyond anything I can imagine if I only obey the desires he places in my heart.  Psalm 37:4 Take delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.

To that end, I will persevere, looking not at what I might have done better, but looking forward to the crown.




While Bobbi has been writing for several decades, sharing her words in a public forum is relatively new. In 2011 her mother's progression into dementia could no longer be ignored. One day she demanded, "Someone needs to write about this!" Bobbi began to share snippets of her mother's story in a blog, and is now documenting her mother's journey in a manuscript: The Reluctant Caregiver. www.bobbijunior.com

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I can relate to the 'binder' need hard-wiring!

    As I am working to get away from physical binders and paper to keeping my 'stuff' online, I have taken notes from your very helpful posting!

    Bobbi, by the way, we are pleased to welcome you as our newest contributor here at InScribe Writers Online.

    We're looking forward to getting to know you better.

    Brenda


    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posting make me want to jump in right away to organize my writing as you do. But giving up on binders and dividers doesn't come easy for an oldie like me.Thanks for sharing valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely going to check these out! I'm a former 'binder' girl myself and could totally see myself liking this system. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this very helpful info. I am happy to know about an app I can use on my Mac!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.