August 14, 2018

Finding Humour in Tough Situations - Ruth L. Snyder

Luke, wearing his grad suit and giving us a thumbs up

Our seventeen-year-old son graduated in June. It was a wonderful day of celebration—his first Paediatric report stated that Luke would never be able to walk, talk, or feed himself. The day of grad, Luke pranced proudly down the aisle, waving at everyone, a broad smile on his face. One of his classmates bribed him not to talk during the ceremony—he loves to talk and spouts out information non-stop. At the banquet, Luke gave us a thumbs up as he walked in. Then he made sure his plate was heaped with his favourite Ukrainian food, and he ate it all. Luke and his twin brother have developmental delays, but they bring a lot of joy and laughter to our family.

Luke was very proud of his suit, so I asked him if he wanted to wear it to church the next day.
"Yes!"
I washed his shirt and wiped down the suit. Sunday morning I knocked on his door and handed his suit to him.
"Thanks, Mom"
"You're welcome, Luke. We'll have breakfast in a few minutes, okay?"
"Yup!"
I went downstairs and prepared breakfast, set the table, and then called everyone. A couple minutes later, everyone was at the table except for Luke. (Usually he's the first one around when there's food involved.)
I marched back upstairs, and stopped short. Luke was sitting on his bed, both feet protruding—from the sleeves of his suit jacket. He was stuck! His feet would not go forward or backward, even with me holding onto the sleeves.
At that moment, several thoughts (and emotions) went through my mind simultaneously:

  • How in the world did he get his feet through the sleeves? And why did he put both feet in? (I felt bewildered and sorry for Luke)
  • Was this the end of his brand new suit that he had only worn once? (I felt frustrated and angry)
  • Everyone was downstairs waiting for breakfast, and there was no quick fix! (I felt rushed because I'm the church pianist and we needed to leave for church in 20 minutes.)
I took a deep breath. "Okay, Luke. I'll help you, but I need to go downstairs for a minute. I'll be right back."
He nodded, looking for reassurance. 
At that point, I couldn't find the energy to smile, but I squeezed his hand.

Downstairs I grabbed a pair of scissors. "Go ahead with breakfast. Luke and I will be a while."
My husband nodded, waiting for an explanation.
"I'll tell you later."

Back upstairs, I took a fresh look at the situation. Luke's heels were both through the sleeves and by this time he was sweating. The actual sleeves were loose; it was the lining that was tight around his ankles. Little by little, I sliced the lining until Luke was able to pull one foot out, then the other.
"How about if you just wear your vest this morning?"
Luke nodded.
I inspected the jacket sleeves. "I'll sew the lining, and next time you wear your suit, you'll be able to wear the jacket too." 
"Thanks, Mom!" Luke gave me a big hug and a slobbery kiss.

Now that this event is in the past, I can laugh. It's another story to add to the "Remember when" collection. Parenting kids who have special needs can be a roller-coaster ride—I say that every day is a new adventure. I'm thankful that God gives strength, and humour, to see us through.

Are you able to find humour in tough situations? I look forward to hearing about it in the comments below.


Ruth L. Snyder lives with her husband and five children in northeastern Alberta. Grace, Luke, Levi, Jayson, and Dorothy have all taught them that being "specially-abled" brings unique opportunities to learn and serve. https://ruthlsnyder.com/blog

10 comments:

  1. What a touching story! And the picture of him with his feet through his sleeves was quite comical! God must be injecting lots of special patience, love and humour into your home every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement and prayers, Tracy. God definitely gives us all patience, love, and humour in our home :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ruth. Thanks for this. Your patience is remarkable as I seriously thought you were going to cut the sleeve right up as I probably would have done :D Seeing the humour in our everyday lives is so important; I've learned to laugh at myself and include my own mix-ups in my writing. I think it helps our readers to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria
      I thought I might have to cut the sleeves up, but when I was able to take a breath and look at things from a fresh perspective the solution was easier than I thought. Yes, laughing at ourselves definitely helps, and gives us fuel for writing :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, Ruth! This really tops my anecdotes, but, as you say, years later you'll be able to laugh at this. I too admire your calm in the midst of turmoil and disbelief! Good for you for saving the day expeditiously, while saving face for the young man in a strange predicament. God must have been watching with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon
      The thought of God smiling never entered my head in the middle of the turmoil, but perhaps He did. I appreciate your encouragement and prayers!

      Delete
  4. Ruth, thank you for sharing this story. I have not had much time for reading the posts. One day I wanted to do a quick catch-up to read the Aug posts ... and it opened with yours. It truly is a moving story, and shows how valuable it is when we can take a step back, regroup and find another way of looking at the situation. I agree with Sharon, God must have been watching with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jocelyn!
    I have been blessed and encouraged many times by making time to read posts shared on this blog. How wonderful that we can learn from each other and cheer each other on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love boys and suits! Thank you for sharing Ruth. Sounds like your boys are awesome and have enriched your life with grace and joy. Do you happen to know Jodi Graff and her work with special needs adults and children?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob
      Yes, my boys are awesome and have definitely enriched my life. I'm not acquainted with Jodi Graff. I'll have to do some research 😀

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.