December 31, 2007

Another year over, a new one just begun by Lorrie Orr



Resolutions never work for me. I begin in a flurry of activity, doing all the things on my list, but soon, within a few days or weeks, real life takes over. The resolutions disappear leaving faint traces of failure and disappointment in my own abilities.

This year, I'm taking an idea from someone else. Instead of resolutions, she establishes a theme for the year. And so, I've been thinking about a theme for several weeks, searching and praying for what the Lord might suggest to me. Two verses have been impressed upon my heart.

First came a group of verses from Deuteronomy 30:11-14 "Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. It is not up in heaven, so that you have to ask, "who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?" Nor is it beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, "Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so we may obey it?" No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so you may obey it."

I realize that I keep waiting and waiting for signs from God to show me what to do - with my writing, with my love of art and craft, with my longing to create in various forms. It was as if a rock had landed in my front yard, engraved with these words. Do what is in your heart, for I, your God, have put it there.

Then, on the Sunday before Christmas, the sermon included this verse, "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." (Luke 1:45)

I especially like this because it was written for a woman. When I believe, I can leave results in God's hands, not my own. That frees me to create with abandon.

And so, my theme for 2008 - In Belief...Create.





8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! And what a great theme! Will you keep it on your fridge? I appreciate the verses you chose. GM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorrie,
    Great idea. I've given verses for each year to my immediate family and have one for myself, but not thought of it as a theme... more like a challenge! What I like about your theme is that it is open-ended in the sense that however God leads you, you can follow that leading as an action of faithful creativity.

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, Lorrie. Thanks. :)M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story of how your 2008 theme came into being. May you have a great year believing and creating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie, consider me blown out of the water here. The thoughts you express so parallel mine, particularly: "I realize that I keep waiting and waiting for signs from God to show me what to do - with my writing, with my love of art and craft, with my longing to create in various forms. It was as if a rock had landed in my front yard, engraved with these words. Do what is in your heart, for I, your God, have put it there." And the verse from Luke was one the Lord laid on my heart just before Christmas as this year's theme verse.

    Thank you for the confirmation.

    Blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lorrie,
    How is it that we can read scripture over and over but every time it's new. I've read those same verses, but never in the light that you share them! Thanks for listening to God and seeking Him so that I could be enlightened and learn something new again from His Word. Isn't he just perfect for each one of us and our unique situations?!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great theme, Lorrie, and thanks for sharing. This is a new idea to me. The LORD indeed send you forth into 2008 to "In Belief...Create," and bless others through you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thoughts... I could totally identify, because resolutions have never worked for me either. I love that verse from Deuteronomy. And I'm thinking maybe my theme for the year is similar to yours...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.