With the dream of winning a big-name secular contest several years ago, I sat down to write my story.
Hours sank away as I oh-so-carefully crafted my article. Like a carpenter putting together the most delicate fine furniture, I tried to select only the finest verbs and adjectives, glued together by the most exquisite sentence forms. Here’s just one example: “Her wing of polished, brown hair is hemmed by morning sunlight, but her face is shaded.”
I really did try to put out my writing best.
I also did not compromise my deeply-held values. My main message in the story is to show that we are all bound together as humans, regardless of our background and race. The story is based on my real-life experience of supporting a young refugee who is blind and cannot speak. While language and cultural differences loom like large walls all around us, his mother and I share tears of joy when the boy is heard saying a few words.
As I aim to do with all my writing, I prayed for God to guide and anoint my work.
In the end, despite my prayers, hard work, and good intentions, the story did not place at all in the contest.
It took several years before I could whisper sincere thanks that the article had not been recognized. My gratitude flowed as I realized that with my story I had been wading into a political tide that I was not prepared to handle. I had been writing sincerely but quite naively, and I see now God’s hand of protection.
Proverbs 19:2 says, “Zeal without knowledge is not good; a person who moves too quickly may go the wrong way” (NLT).
Having pure and prayerful hearts as we write is a must. It’s also wise to do our research and be astute about the possible implications of what we are publishing. This is where going slowly can be helpful as it gives us time to deeply think through all sides and angles of the content we are creating.
This is not to say we never publish for fear of backlash. Instead, I am learning, it is wise to be aware that we might receive backlash and are prayerfully prepared to respond.
As for that article I crafted with such diligence, I’ve since made revisions and shared it elsewhere. Potential political ramifications still exist, but I believe I am now better prepared to respond to them, with God’s help.
Michelle Joy Teigrob blogs on Substack and at michellejoybooks.ca. Her mission is to share true stories and articles from a heart seared by this message after being shattered by the deaths of 3 sisters: In the end, one thing will remain above all.
Thank you, Michelle, for sharing this particular writing dream of your heart and how it ended. I am glad for writers who do have the gift of being able to write "wading into a political tide". For I am not one of those gifted or prepared to handle the ramifications.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate the time you've taken to share your lesson(s) learned.
Hi Brenda, Thank you for your comment. I didn't realize it could be a political tide until afterwards. I was just trying to share a true story that had meant a lot to me. To be honest, I don't like the idea of entering areas with potential political ramifications in my writing, and actually try to avoid it. But if I believe God is leading me to write and share a particular piece, I want to be obedient.
DeleteThank you, Michelle, for sharing your feelings of discouragement when your story was not acknowledged in the way you wanted it to be. Your later realization that you were wading into a tricky situation shows God's hand protecting you. Also, your words "It’s also wise to do our research and be astute about the possible implications of what we are publishing," are a good reminder to all of us. I'm glad you feel better able to deal with issues now.
ReplyDeleteHi Lorrie, Thank you for your comment. Yes, it was a tricky situation, but I was too naive to realize it at the time!
Delete