September 06, 2026

Ten Things by Lorilee Guenter



September is a time to reflect on the year to date. When the girls were in school, September had more sway on our schedule and intentions then January. Now I can choose any month I want for reflection, kind of. Most classes and activities start September and January. 

This season I will/will not...

1) I will not let my activity level define my success. Sometimes being is more valuable that doing. I will take time to pause, it is good for health, especially mental health. God instructs us to pause, to rest so he can refresh us.

2) I will continue to write regularly. Every Tuesday afternoon for a couple of years I have had a writing date at a local coffee shop. Winter 2026, I stood myself up for a few months. I missed it. This summer, I had a writing partner. It's easier to keep a commitment when there are two of you. For the next year I may have a new partner, or I may have to go alone. Either way, I'm committing to myself to write regularly (and enjoying a coffee while I work). 

3) I won't let numbers define me. Metrics can consume us if we let them. The number of subscribers, likes, and comments, threatened to overwhelm and push us to do more and be more. Weight, calories consumed, calories burned, and clothes sizes can likewise shame us. 

4) I'll be teaching Sunday school again. The grade five six students often challenge me with their questions. If I arrive unprepared, they know it. Therefore, this is not a few hours on Sunday commitment. It is the time with God, time with curriculum, and time with young people who are curious, questioning and amazing to hang out with. I am looking forward to this time for the coming year. 

5) I will not leave everything for the last minute. I've been a procrastinator, working to deadlines for decades. Nothing spurs inspiration quite like a deadline. After years of waiting for the week, or day before deadline, I found many excuses to keep me scrambling. To change means relearning habits. But change needs to happen sometimes and this is one of those times. 

6) I will work to reshape my workspace and my workflow. Our house has gone from three occupants to two for the next year. Since we are living in a period of transition anyway, it seems like a good time to start adjusting what hasn't worked well. 

7) I will not overeat sweets and unhealthy snacks. Better said, "I will treat my body well by eating a healthy healthy, balanced way." Eating in a healthy balanced way challenges me to try new things. This year I've already learned that I can make the much maligned brussels sprouts in ways I enjoy. 

8) I won't be hard on myself when I fail. This might be the hardest item on the list so far. We live in a society that can be quick to judge. I've been judging myself and finding flaws for decades. We are all imperfect, works in progress. (Philippians 1:6) but we aren't condemned (John 3:17). Why then do I condemn myself? 

9) I will take necessary next steps to bring my novel from hiding on the shelf to shareable. On my "brain dump" tasks list, my novel next step has carried forward each month since April 2024. Each month I found excuses, sometimes wrapped up as "good reasons," to postpone action. This August I took one small step. I'm committed to taking another step this September. 

10) I will throw out this list of if it starts to be a weight that keeps me immobilised. Sometimes lists help. Sometimes they hold us back. I don't want any list to get in the way of what God wants to do with and through me in the coming months. 

Ten things, four months, and beyond. I could add don't stress, set goals (that might cause stress), laugh, explore, be flexible. Laugh, enjoy, be flexible will keep the enjoyment in whatever comes that I can't foresee. 



Lorilee Guenter is a Saskatoon based artist and writer. Her writing stems from the many questions she finds herself pondering and from the things she observes on her wanderings. One such question is how did events she lived through become the subject of history.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree! The older I get, the more precious those moments of simply being become. A life full of hard work – and now what? The good days are there to be savoured. Amidst doctor’s appointments, therapy and simply feeling tired. Yes, simply being in the moment is what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful list of will and will nots, Lorilee. I often think of the words in the Message "learn the unforced rhythms of grace." (Matthew 11) It is easy for us to place too many burdens on ourselves rather than live in alignment with God's plan. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that comments are moderated to deter spam which is why your comment will not appear immediately.

If you sign in using "Anonymous", could you leave your name along with your comment so we know who left it.

Thank so much for taking the time to join in the conversation. We appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you've found helpful or meaningful in some way.