Writing Prompt
When I think of setting goals, whether long-term or short-term, I clothe them in a blanket of hope. As I pondered the prompt for this month, it moved me deep inside. I cannot fully explain why, but perhaps my response here will give at least some idea of what is going on inside my soul.
My Inner Landscape
A personal goal for this writer is to nurture my inner landscape to concentrate on peace, hope, beauty, and whatever things are lovely. This might sound lofty, but please allow me to explain in the rest of this post.
One of my favourite writers, the late John O’Donohue said,
“When we awaken to the call of beauty, we become aware of new ways of being in the world. We were created to be creators. At its deepest heart, creativity is meant to serve and evoke beauty. When this desire and capacity come alive, new wells spring up in parched ground; difficulty becomes invitation and rather than striving against the grain of our nature, we fall into rhythm with its deepest urgency and passion. The time is now ripe for beauty to surprise and liberate us…” ¹I appreciate John O’Donohue’s statement, so included it as part of one of my goals. I pray, dear readers, you will accept my reasoning for highlighting O’Donohue’s words.
I am disheartened at the direction our culture in the West has taken. Especially in the last ten years or so, there has been such a division among people. For instance, people have invented the term “hate speech” to use when they disagree with each other. I just don’t understand such flawed reasoning. People act “offended” if something opposes their sensitive feelings. Lord have mercy on us.
Beauty, loveliness, and peace appear overshadowed by misguided views on life. A society where everyone does that which is right in their own eyes curtails even hope.
I pray to God I will no longer follow the foolishness of the world, but in my small way, will be an agent for change. May groups like InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship allow beauty to surprise and liberate us, to the glory of God.
With the previous statements in mind, I come to another goal of like mind.
Social Media
I plan to reduce my involvement with so-called “social” media platforms. To me, scrolling on Facebook and the like has no value or edification. I can stay in contact with people I care about through email, or even better, personal contact. I hope that I can stay in contact, for instance, with InScribe members through email. I don’t know of InScribe members close to where I live, but perhaps in time more will be up and coming.
My Website and Substack
For the sake and purpose of much of my writing, I will develop more of a presence on my website and Substack. Lord willing, Substack will remain useful to serious writers.
Self-advocacy
Self-advocate for myself regarding chronic health conditions I now live with. I need to maintain good health to move my writing forward. A reason for this self-advocacy is that I conclude through experience not everything health professionals tell me is helpful.
Grandparent grief
I also intend to devote more of my writing projects to being a voice for grandparent grief. For instance, I hope to publish my book, Forgotten Voices: Poetic Utterances of Grandparent Grief and Hope, in 2027.
A Need for personal interaction
A goal for the year 2027 is to make regular connections with InScribe writers and other writers locally. I will also ask my local church community if anyone would like to be part of a church-based writing group.
Orthodox Christian Church
Write an essay on the conversion of my wife and I to the Orthodox Christian Church and post it on Substack. After forty years as Baptists, being embraced by the Orthodox Church has come with no regrets. The depth of this ancient Church is a balm to our souls, and we rejoice now even more in the faithfulness and grace of God. Glory to God in all things!
InScribe
I thank God for being part of InScribe for the past eleven years. I look forward to continuing with you all as we write and offer ministry to each other and our readers.
Citations
¹O’Donohue, John (Beauty: The Invisible Embrace, NY: Harper Collins Publishers, 2004), 7.
In Deroche, a small farming village area of British Columbia, Alan shares his home with his wife, Terry, and their poodle, Charlie. Alan and Terry are grandparents of six grandchildren plus five grandbabies in heaven. Alan enjoys walking on the dike near his home, with trees all around and where he finds inspiration to write. In summer, however, he loves to hide in the shade from the warm summer sun. Alan is more of a friend of fall. He has occasionally written articles for FellowScript Magazine and is a regular contributor to the InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship blog. Alan’s website and blog are https://scarredjoy.ca. He also writes on Substack.
.jpg)
Your quote from John O'Donahue is so rich and full of lovely thoughts, particularly these words "creativity is meant to serve and evoke beauty." I love this, particularly as I think of the Lord as not only the creator of beauty, but beautiful in Himself.
ReplyDeleteWe don't live too far apart (as in the same province) and I have often wondered about a Lower Mainland get together. I would certainly try to come over from the Island for that.
I wish you much success and blessing as you move towards completing these written intentions for the next while. Thank you, Alan.
I’m looking forward to your thoughts on Grandparent Grief. Our older years come with grief upon grief. Writing is a salve to rightly apply.
ReplyDelete