August 02, 2026

Balancing Life And Writing by Bob Jones

  

Photo by Loic Leray on Unsplash


“Life balance is more about intentional imbalance.”


Every action you take is a vote for the type of person you wish to become.

James Clear’s principle in Atomic Habits is like a neon directional sign pointing the way to wholeness.

I wanted to become a writer, and fortunately good advice came my way a quarter century ago. It was simply this:

Writers write.
So, write something every day.
It doesn’t have to be long or profound.
It doesn’t even have to be just right.
It does mean to just write.

Consistency rules.

Everyday I vote for writing.

Writing made me a writer and allowed me to live my life away from the keyboard.

Intentional Imbalance

So, every day, and usually at the start of the day, I write.

There have been seasons in writing a book that it was essential to invest long hours in segments everyday to complete the book on time. But those were short seasons.

Compared to the whole of my day, my writing time is way of out equalized balance with my other activities. I have a full time job at age 72. However, that is where Brian Moran’s quote comes into play. To balance life and writing is to live an intentional imbalance.

I must admit that I have to put a governor on my writing time because I love to write. How about you? I can get lost in writing, especially on Saturdays and realize 2-3 hours have gone by before I know it.

Energy Management

I’ve also learned that what is most profitable to manage is energy, not time. There are lots of books about time management but what created a breakthrough for me was an introduction to energy management.

Do what creates the most important results when you have the highest amount of energy.

I used to run first thing every morning and then work into the late afternoon. But my peak, creative energy is when I wake up. So, now I run or walk after 4:00 pm and start creating at 6:30 am.




Thank you for making time to read and if you will, comment.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are moderated to deter spam which is why your comment will not appear immediately.

If you sign in using "Anonymous", could you leave your name along with your comment so we know who left it.

Thank so much for taking the time to join in the conversation. We appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you've found helpful or meaningful in some way.