Pages

September 09, 2026

Beyond the Last Page ~ Valerie Ronald

 

If I had known it would take over a year to birth a book from rough draft to publication, I might have thought twice about tackling the project. That is a long gestation period! Any day now I am expecting the arrival of my new baby, a devotional book titled Each Shining Moment: Lingering in God’s Light. Holding my book in my hands, gazing at its shiny cover, and flipping through its crisp, new pages will be almost as exciting for me as it was to cradle my three newborn babies. Birthing this book was not as painful but certainly as laborious.

Like a first-time parent, I am thrilled with the new arrival, yet nervous about what comes next. Fortunately, my publisher provides marketing tutorials and support for new authors. Learning how to market my book is first on my list of things to do in the next four months of 2026.

My publisher assumes my priority is to sell as many books as possible in order to bank a good volume of royalties. Actually, marketing the book is more about putting it in the hands of spiritual seekers and those who desire to grow in their Christian walk. I plan to implement some of the recommendations of my publisher, however, the marketing strategy in which I have the most confidence is to prayerfully release the book to God, who knows best where and to whom it needs to go.

“Now glory be to God, who by His mighty power at work within us is able to do far more than we would ever dare to ask or even dream of—infinitely beyond our highest prayers, desires, thoughts, or hopes” (Ephesians 3:20 NLT).

Next on my list is catching up with projects left undone as I poured many hours into the book this past year. I plan to do some deep cleaning and organizing projects around the house, return to cooking and baking from scratch after too many convenience meals, and spend more time with friends and family.

Now that the book is done I can focus on other writing projects. Writing monthly posts for InScribe Writers Online, bi-monthly columns for InScribe FellowScript magazine, and monthly devotionals for our church bulletin motivates me to write frequently. I am also looking forward to writing my annual Christmas short story and some new pieces for our local writer’s group.

Of course, these plans will depend on how well my new baby (and its author) will adapt now that it is published. This book may be a quiet child, not overly adventurous, happy to stay close to home. Or it may take off running, eager to make many new friends in faraway places. I have no set expectations for the book, choosing rather to hold it with an open hand so God can do with it as He wills, using it as He sees fit.

Just as I prayed for my children, I also pray that this book birthed from my walk with God will help others in their growth towards Him. I am eager to see what its future holds. 


Valerie Ronald writes from an old roll top desk in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, with her tortoiseshell cat for a muse. A graduate of Langara College School of Journalism, she writes devotionals, fiction, and inspirational prose. Her purpose in writing is to encourage others to grow in their spiritual walk.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! Congratulations on the birth of your new "baby," Valerie! It's an exciting time, full of emotion and gratitude. I wish you much success as you move forward into the new plans God has for you.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that comments are moderated to deter spam which is why your comment will not appear immediately.

If you sign in using "Anonymous", could you leave your name along with your comment so we know who left it.

Thank so much for taking the time to join in the conversation. We appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you've found helpful or meaningful in some way.