Pages

August 24, 2026

Dancing the Two-Step by Brenda J Wood


Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay


What do you do when you don’t know what to do? Stop, drop, and roll because we are on fire, not literally, but figuratively.

I confess I’ve stepped on a few toes while I learned to navigate self-preservation. One week, I found myself with relatives camping in the back yard, another bunch with their fancy camper in my backyard, two small nephews with measles, a brother temporarily homeless, a full-time job and meals necessary for the multitude.
 
A neighbour asked why our dog had taken up residence at her home. I cried “He’s looking for peace and quiet, and I wish I was there with him!”

If we never, ever write, we will never, ever be read. Writing is our God-given gift and it is our job to do it. Will we disappoint God or twenty-seven hangers on?

God gave us the gift; we must open it as best we know how. And yes, we must learn to say NO. Let’s practice together. Put your tongue against your top teeth. Try this sound, N-N-N. Now make a round shape with your lips and say O-O-O. Try putting them together and make this sound. NO-NO- NO! There! You did it. Now in front of the mirror. NO-NO-NO.

Stop the distractions as often as you can. Their problem is not our emergency. Shopping is not an emergency. Babysitting is not an emergency. Editing a friend’s manuscript is not an emergency. The emergency is our personal obedience to God.

Copy out that last sentence and post it everywhere you can.

If we keep dancing the two-step in every direction, the easier it is to say, “Oh I will write tomorrow.” And tomorrow never comes. Before we know it, the word is out. And everyone is on our case with their problems and our writing for God lies somewhere in the dust of our square dancing to another’s call.

Stop the distractions.
Drop to your writing desk.
Roll out those pages for Jesus.


Brenda J Wood has authored more than fifty books. She is a seasoned motivational speaker, who declares the Word of God with wisdom, humour, and common sense.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments are moderated to deter spam which is why your comment will not appear immediately.

If you sign in using "Anonymous", could you leave your name along with your comment so we know who left it.

Thank so much for taking the time to join in the conversation. We appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you've found helpful or meaningful in some way.