June 16, 2018

The Writer’s Bread of Life by Nina Faye Morey




Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life.
Whoever comes to me will never go hungry,
and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.
~ John 6:35 NIV



The Word of God nourishes and supports me so that I am able to remain faithful, focused, and fruitful on my writing journey. I look to God’s Word for:



Inspiration



My heart is stirred by a noble theme
as I recite my verses for the king;
my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer.
~ Psalm 45:1



Scripture is a great source of inspiration for my writing—both fiction and nonfiction. I often draw on Jesus’s parables for short story ideas, and I regularly employ His technique of using everyday experiences to illustrate my messages. The themes and plots Jesus employed in His parables could certainly form the heart of many insightful, present-day novels. For instance, the Parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15: 11-32) provides the essential plot for a coming-of-age story. The Book of Revelation formed the foundation of possibly the best-selling Christian fiction of all time, the Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. The Saviour’s Second Coming, the Pretribulation Rapture, and the End Times all served as the backbone on which they built their plots. Many of the themes, ideas, and characters contained in the Bible provide wonderful sources of inspiration for powerful and profound stories.




Guidance



Your word is a lamp for my feet,
a light on my path.
~ Psalm 119:105



There are times in the middle of a piece when I’ve lost my sense of direction and feel uncertain about the path I’m taking. No matter how lost I feel, God’s Word always points me in the right direction. It shines a light before me, so I don’t stumble down a treacherous path and fall in the darkness. There are also times when Scripture counsels me on how to deal with those cynical critics who make disparaging comments about the references to Christian faith in my writing (1 Peter 3:15).




Reassurance



Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible,
but with God all things are possible.”
~ Matthew 19:26



Whenever I’m plagued by self-doubts, this verse bolsters my spirits. My attempts to write may be going nowhere and success might seem beyond my reach, but I know I can rely on God’s help to do what appears impossible. I may be an imperfect vessel, but His Light will shine through the cracks (2 Corinthians 4:7). Another Bible verse that helps me persevere when I encounter those inevitable potholes on my writing path is Philippians 4:13: “I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.”



Affirmation



Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm.
Let nothing move you. Always give yourself fully to
the work of the Lord, because you know that
your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
~ 1Corinthians 15:58



It is easy to get discouraged when I experience rejection after rejection. But if I wish to serve the Lord and truly believe in what I’m doing, it’s much easier to maintain my resolve. As a Christian writer, I believe that God has blessed me with this gift and called me to create (Ephesians 2:10). He plans for me to prosper, giving me both hope and a future (Jeremiah 29:11). While those who consider themselves worldly give me cold shoulder, I must remain firmly committed to my purpose (Proverbs 16:3). Since the Lord desires that I serve Him through my writing, I must put on His armour of light so that it may shine within me—and through me light the darkness of the world (Romans 13:12).




These are just a few of the Scriptures that sustain me as I pursue my writing path. What verses provide nourishment for your writing journey?





Photo Credits: Pixabay

8 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful smorgasbord of verses, Nina! God's Word truly is our nourishment as writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, "my cup overflows" (Psalm 23:5). God's Word supplies more provisions than I will ever need, and I'm truly thankful for the fruits of His blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how God's Word can comfort and give peace. His Word is available for all of us. I pray we all lean on His Word. The first Scripture my Daddy taught me when I was a little girl was John 3:16. My favorite Scripture then and now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. John 3:16 is the gospel in a nutshell. If we feast daily on God's Word, we "shall not perish but have eternal life."

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing how God’s Word gives you inspiration, affirmation, guidance, and reassurance. There is a lot of treasure there for those who seek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ruth, I agree. God's Word is indeed a treasure trove of spiritual nourishment. Just as we partake in physical nourishment at least three times a day, we also need to consume God's Word daily for spiritual nourishment.

      Delete
  5. I appreciate your choice of verses, Nina, and your sharing your reasons for choosing the ones you did. Writing has its discouraging moments. We would all do well to remember that with God all things are possible. I also like a "sister" verse of this. "What do you mean, 'If I can'?" Jesus asked. "Anything is possible if a person believes." (NLT) This can be true for our writing and for our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.