June 15, 2018

My All Time Favourite Writing Verses - Tracy Krauss

Many of the verses shared so far are also ones that I have found inspiring, encouraging or motivational over my years of writing.

Karma Pratt shared Galatians 6: 4- 5 with me a few years ago and I keep it on my bulletin board because it reminds me to write what God wants me to write - not what someone else says I should - and to do it with all my heart, soul and strength. (Check Karma's post this month for more.) 
Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life. (The Message)

I have long appreciated Habakkuk 2: 1 - 3 for its admonition to write what God gives, committing the result to Him, and Sandi Somers mentioned this in her first post this month.
I will stand on my guard post
            And station myself on the rampart;
            And I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me,
            And how I may reply when I am reproved.
  Then the LORD answered me and said,
            “Record the vision
            And inscribe it on tablets,
            That the one who reads it may run.
“For the vision is yet for the appointed time;
            It hastens toward the goal and it will not fail.
            Though it tarries, wait for it;
            For it will certainly come, it will not delay. (NIV)

InScribe's key verse for the year of 2018 fits really well here, too: Isaiah 54:2 says, "Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes." (NIV)
For me, this speaks about stepping out of my comfort zone when it comes to my writing. It also speaks to us as an organization - to expand our metaphorical territory, possessing the good inheritance God has given us as writers of Christian faith.

Our theme verse for this year's Fall Conference is also a wonderful encouragement to write for God's glory. Psalm 45:1 says, My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a skillful writer. (NIV) May we all be inspired this year to be 'skillful writers' as we present our 'verses' to the King of Kings!

Finally, I end with perhaps my all time personal favourite verses which I try to apply to my writing life, and often use as a prayer. They are actually two separate verses from Psalm 90 - (verse 12 and verse 17) which when taken together, motivate me to give the best of my time to what I believe God has called me to do and ask for God's blessing on my endeavours.
Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. (v12)
May the favour of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us— yes, establish the work of our hands. (NIV)


Tracy Krauss writes from her home in northern BC. For better or worse, she relentlessly writes what she believes God is calling her to write. Visit her website for more: tracykrauss.com  - fiction on the edge without crossing the line - 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Tracy
    God has been reminding me lately that my days are numbered and I am thinking about how I can make the best use of my time. It’s easy to get pulled in too many directions and not really be faithful in what God calls us to do. May He continue to give us wisdom, and may we listen and be obedient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a good thing to keep this in mind.

      Delete
  2. We should all heed the words of Galatians 6:4-5 not to get caught in the trap of comparing ourselves with others. As Christian writers, we must honour God by being our creative best and by never being afraid to step out of our comfort zone. As you said, we must write what God wants us to write and ignore those who are critical of our choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your post Tracy. A line that speaks to me is, "...write what God wants me to write - not what someone else says I should - and to do it with all my heart, soul and strength." I endeavour to do this in order to express the writing voice God has given me. I'm in my mid-sixties now and my desire for my writing is for me show my words to the world around us. In my work/ministry of coming alongside people God has indeed taught me to number my days and hopefully grow in wisdom. Tracy, you have indeed developed your writing voice and I listen to it. Thank you for your writing, leadership and willingness to serve.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Tracy for these verses! I have loved those Galatians verses(in the MSG) ... And thank you for the reminder of the Numbering our days ... our days do count, and what a precious gift the days are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tracy, for summarizing some of your favourite verses that have been shared for our potluck nourishment this month. Such a rich banquet it is, and I believe Jesus has blessed this banquet and this spiritual food to our use in service for him. Praise be to God!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.