May 29, 2018

Writing Is Like A Marathon Of Hope by Bob Jones


Marathons take energy, focus, stamina and work. Grueling work.

My wife Jocelyn had this crazy idea that WE should run a marathon. In 2007, in our mid-50’s we followed Forrest Gump’s lead, started running and never looked back. 

Over the next ten months we ran thousands of kilometers in training. Up hills. Down hills. Snow. Rain. Heat. Thirst and hunger. Yes, hunger is a constant companion of marathoners. Energy bars, water, good shoes, dry socks, perseverance and endurance are a marathoner’s greatest assets. Plus being a little crazy.

After 10-mile and Half-marathon races for practice, Jocelyn and I completed all 42.3kms of the International Marathon in Niagara Falls, Ontario - October 2007.  We crossed the finish line with the last stragglers after nearly six hours of running. Injured, but we finished. And we have the medals to prove it.

In 2012 I took Anne Lamont’s lead, started writing and never looked back. My metaphor for writing is a marathon.

The writer’s life is a marathon not a sprint. Writing is a long devotion in the same direction.  Day after day, we put fountain pen to paper and write. Perseverance and stamina are a writer’s friends.

Long distance runners know that a marathon is not a series of sprints. Marathons must be paced. Settling early into a pace that allows for the greatest possibility of finishing is strategic.

A writing life needs to be paced. Measure your stride. The natural energy of an enthused start and early successes should be tempered by a finish line that is never in sight until the last moments of a run. Finishing is the goal but stride is the means to achieve the goal.

Writing, like marathon training for the most part, is lonely.  Writers work alone with their ideas, space, and hopes. We feel the loneliness of a long distance runner.

Writing is lonely however publishing is like long distance racing. Racers are never alone. Other runners, water station attendants and those wonderful cheerleaders with signs and noisemakers spread out over the 42.3km courses, encourage racers.

Fellow writers are in the same race. Readers of our blogs, posts, books and anthologies are like water station attendants. People who comment on our posts or review our books are like the encouragers along a race route.

A writer's hope is to engage, entertain, inform, inspire and in some small way make the world a better place for our readers. 

People who decide to become writers because of something they read of our writing are the ones who give us hope in our marathon.

Bob is a recovering perfectionist, who collects Coca-Cola memorabilia and drinks Iced Tea. His office walls are adorned with his sons’ framed football jerseys, and his library shelves, with soul food. He writes to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose.

Follow his writing at Pointes Of View.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Bob for this great writing metaphor ... I've not been a runner, more of a walker & cyclist :) I appreciated your line--"Writing is a long devotion in the same direction."
    I also enjoy Anne Lamott-I was doing a google search on her TED talk of 12 things I know ... and it lead me to your other blog! Then I recognized your name from Inscribe ... neat. It takes all kinds to be writers, but as you said mostly it takes energy, focus, stamina and WORK! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jocelyn. You may also have noted that my wife's name is Jocelyn. So I am kinda partial to Jocelyns. And Ann Lamott.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much Jocelyn. Our famlies have at least two things in common - a Jocelyn and a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of finish lines... what a solid finish to a month of metaphors! Writing as a marathon is such a wonderful metaphor on every level. No wonder Paul talked about running the race of life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's kind and creative, like you Tracy. I love Hebrews 12:1 - "run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Running now to see what June's theme is for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am more of a plodder than a marathoner in life and in writing, but I love your extended and well-written metaphor. What a good topic the metaphor has been for May, even though I wasn't up to the challenge back then. Instead, I had to write my metaphor in June. I get your point about writing being a long devotion in the same direction. Even when my stamina fails, I do try to put my pen to paper.

    I am both a plodder and a pacer. Sometimes my stride gets too long for my short legs and I have to reset my pace. Does that make me a pacer? Probably not. Kudos to your wife and you for taking up this passion/effort in your middle age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you heard of an Australian named, Cliff? 61 years old. Entered the first ultra-marathon in Australia. It took over 5 days and nights to complete. He won. He beat professionals half his age because he plodded along...without stopping...while they slept. He won by 10 hours. He was a sheepherder who ran everyday to manage his sheep. He ran in gumboots and a sheepskin jacket. Keep running, Sharon.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.