December 29, 2017

What's In A Name by Bob Jones



I distinctly remember the early September day in my Grade One class. For the teacher it was a routine question. For me it was transforming.

Miss Marks asked me to write down my mother’s name. I’m sure she already knew the answer because all teachers have access to their students’ personal information. Maybe it was a writing exercise or something else mundane.

I wrote down, “Mum.”

In no way was I trying to be funny or sassy. Miss Marks clearly informed me that this was not the correct answer. “Your mother has a first name. Don’t you know your mother’s name?”

Confusion set in. What? I had only known her as “Mum.” My sister called her “Mum.” Even my dad called her “Mum.” What do you mean that’s not her name? 

“Your mother’s name is ‘Irene’.”

I was incredulous. “Irene?” No one had ever called her “Irene”. How could that be? Now I felt foolish.

After school, “Mum” welcomed me home me like she always did and before there was a moment to inquire, ‘What did you learn today?’ I asked her, “Is your name, Irene?”

Since then names have fascinated me. I’m intrigued why people were given their name, what their name means and how close their character and behavior come to matching the meaning of their name.

The name “Irene” means “peace.”That was SO her.

My name “Robert” means “shining fame.”

One of the prophetic names of Jesus - “Immanuel” - means “God with us.”

So rich in promise and provision.


Its not out of proper context to make the meaning personal – “God with me.” Jesus said “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5

Whenever I feel alone in facing my problems, I think – Immanuel.

In the moments when the specter of despair raises its ugly head, I think – Immanuel.

Fear’s icy fingers around my heart? Immanuel.

Loved ones challenged by ill health? Immanuel.

Grieving the loss of love or cherished ones? Immanuel.

God is with you.
God will be with you.

Peace to you for the New Year and for all your days ahead. 

Bob is a recovering perfectionist, who collects Coca-Cola memorabilia and drinks Iced Tea. His office walls are adorned with his sons’ framed football jerseys, and his library shelves, with soul food. He writes to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose.

Follow his writing at Pointes Of View.

6 comments:

  1. Wow... this is powerful. of course i knew that Immanuel meant God with us, but i never thought of it as a 'prayer' before in any of those circumstances you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I trust you will feel the presence of God with you and in you...everyday. Be blessed.

      Delete
  2. Loved your post from the start, Pastor Bob. Having taught Kindergarten and Grade One and having parented and grandparented, for so many year, I am aware of the general innocence and naivety of these small but mighty people. Your not being familiar with your mom's given name is understandable. Today's children, unfortunately, are losing some of this innocence and their not-knowing.

    Jesus was given his name by his Father in Heaven, but he also was and is Immanuel. Thanks for reminding us that we can cry,"Immanuel!" as a child might cry, "Mommy!" Although our earthly mothers can't always be with us, Jesus can. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great insight from a teacher. Thank you for commenting. All the very best to in 2018.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your heartwarming story(I remember being surprised that my grandmother had an actual name)-and your interest in the meaning of names. I've found names quite fascinating as well. And the power of the name Immanuel-I feel I'm only beginning to grasp how important that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining the conversation Jocelyn. Jocelyn is my wife's name also. May you truly enjoy the presence of God each day in 2018.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.