February 24, 2017

Why I Love to Write by Tandy Balson



To paraphrase Elizabeth Barrett Browning, “How do I love writing? Let me count the ways.”

There are many reasons for my love of writing but the primary one is the connection I feel with God. I clearly remember receiving the call to start writing.

After days of getting inspiration in unexpected places, I thanked God for what he’d been teaching me. Then, I prayerfully asked if there was something I should be doing with these lessons. Immediately I received three words, “write them down.” After doing so, I prayed again, thanking the Lord for prompting me to preserve the words he’d given me so they wouldn’t be forgotten.

That’s when I learned he wanted more from me. Three new words were given, “Now, share them.” Writing and sharing my words were nothing I’d considered before. Initially, I resisted. When I finally obeyed, he gave me more thoughts to share.  Although unsure what to write about, he provided the inspiration.

When I sit down to write, I’m not always sure what will be going on paper. The element of surprise is another reason I love to write. Often the words take on a life of their own and flow in directions I hadn’t planned. It’s always exciting to see where they may lead.

When troubling times appear, my love of writing has been a form of therapy for me. After pouring my thoughts and feelings onto the page, I feel much better. This is something I had never done before the call to write. It’s an intimate form of prayer.

Another reason I love to write is the new eyes and ears I’ve gained. Snippets of conversation now present deeper meaning. Sights and sounds of nature provide abundant lessons to write about. I’m never sure if these lessons are for me alone or if they will speak into other hearts. I only know I am passionate about capturing and sharing them.

When I write, I imagine myself as a pen in the hand of God. I feel incredible blessed to be called to serve the Lord in this way. What better reason could there be to keep me engaged in this noble pursuit?

 “All this,” David said, “I have in writing as a result of the Lord’s hand on me, and he enabled me to understand all the details of the plan.” 1 Chronicles 28:19 NIV

6 comments:

  1. "The element of surprise is another reason I love to write." He does surprise us, doesn't he? Such an adventure to write with God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just lovely and very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this positive and inspiring post on the ways you enjoy writing. I love that postscript David adds to the building plans for the temple as he gives the plans to Solomon. I reread Corinthians 28: 11-19 to refresh the context in my mind. How terrible it would have been if David had not written these instructions down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "When troubling times appear, my love of writing has been a form of therapy for me." An important part of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to read how people get started on their writing journeys, and I enjoyed finding out how simply and beautifully the Lord led you towards writing. Your post was a delight to read. Thank you, Tandy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I find my love of writing has been a form of therapy. As I write out my thoughts, insights come and God speaks to me through my own words. Thanks for this beautiful post, Tandy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.