August 21, 2016

Athletic wear doesn't make one an Athlete! by Jocelyn Faire



Most of the Olympics have passed me by, the summer has been busy, this August long weekend I hosted three sisters, a niece and her three children. My niece used my smart TV to play DVDs for her children … and somehow the settings were not returned to my normal.  And I feel not so smart. Aaaagh … I would come in last for the Olympic technology challenge. 


But what an epic adventure of laughter, and bubbles, and parachute men dropped over the balcony, more laughter and great food for our motley crew between my house and the Canmore, Alberta folk festival. And in it all I was reminded of the Olympic sized challenges that my niece and her ten year old daughter face each day of life.
(In the winner's circle!)
Multitudes of prayers had been spoken for Maya prior to her birth, when her parents were informed that their daughter had a rare syndrome, and would be born with numerous life challenging difficulties. She has had at least 40 surgeries, the first one before she was a week old. She has spent months of her life in hospital, and even now the doctors are waiting for her to grow stronger in order for her scoliosis to be corrected. Many of us have wondered if the Psalm 139 verses about being fearfully and wonderfully knit in her mother's womb have missed the mark. And yet according to her Grandmother, Maya is a girl with a special connection to Jesus. When I had the privilege to tuck the three little ones into bed, Maya asked if she could read from her bible. My heart breaks for this girl who is becoming increasingly aware of how different she is than the others. She will never run any competitive races. She has never had a normal bowel movement, as the colostomy bag takes care of that business for her. In the playground while her 4 year old brother ran up and down the boards three times, Maya carefully placed one hand and then a foot down in order to ascend. I cheered heartily as she reached the top. 
We speak of all the hard work and determination that goes into producing an Olympic athlete. We stand in awe giving credit to those who have laboured intensely. I stood in awe of this little girl and her family carving out some sense of normal in a precarious health balance.



What was heart warming was to hear Maya speak to herself in the mirror, while wearing her Epic T-shirt. She would say "I feel epic" over and over, making all of us smile. It's a great thing to see that when we repeat these words, we do become more epic.  Epic is defined as "heroic or grand in scale or character."  As we speak Olympic sized dreams into place, we become more of what we speak.  May we all feel epic, and help those around us to achieve a sense of epic in their own lives.


Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honour Romans 12:10(ESV)


9 comments:

  1. Who is it who wrote this touching post? I often wonder how we can be so enamoured by those who excel in sports (because we know we could never do that), and yet stare or even ridicule those who excel in survival (perhaps because we fear we might one day need to do that?) My daughter broke her neck at 15 yrs. Now, 17 yrs later, she continues to be my hero as she lives a good, productive life. May your grand-niece be protected from the stares of this world and continue to excel beyond survival!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that phrase 'excel at survival'. Jocelyn Faire wrote the post.

      Delete
  2. Dear Bobbi, thank you … it was late when I finally hit "publish" and this morning as I checked again, the first thing I see was that I did not sign my name. You would know the pain of the mother's heart that accompanies the struggle for your daughter. There are many other unsung heroes that deserve and I believe will someday receive the ultimate gold medal. Blessings to you and your daughter, and the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a touching and inspiring post, Jocelyn.

      Delete
  3. Thank you with all my heart Jocelyn. I relate somewhat to your love for Maya. One of my granddaughters has Down Syndrome and is also on the Autism spectrum. She has gone through surgeries as well. She is such a fighter. When she is feeling good she loves life. She loves her world. She makes me feel epic. She is one of my teachers. She is one of my heart beats. When she allows me into her world we have such fun together. She climbs on my lap, looks right at my face and touches my cheeks. Jocelyn, thank you for sharing your gift of Maya with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post, Jocelyn. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe your awe in your great-niece is well place. She is truly epic, i.e. heroic or grand in scale or character. Your family is showing true familial love to this little girl. Each of you is helping this wonderful young girl achieve a sense of epic in her life. Through your post, you are helping the rest of us ". . . achieve a sense of epic in (our) own lives." May God continue to bless this young person and her loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Alan, there are many gifts that come to us in various forms of packaging. May you continue to have a special connection with your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My youngest son was diagnosed with Autism. His challenge has also impacted many lives. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.