June 30, 2016

In His Image by Susan Barclay




I come from a somewhat artistic family. My mom is great with her hands, using them to sew, knit and crochet, and later in life picked up a paintbrush and demonstrated some skill as an artist. Her sister is actually an artist and has painted all her life, as well as teaching others in the form. I am not a seamstress, knitter or crocheter, and dropped art after grade eight. 

There are perhaps two pieces of art I produced that I am not ashamed of: a painting of a whale that I probably did in elementary school or junior high, and a watercolour of a sunflower in a vase that I did when my aunt taught a one-night workshop in my home.

From my father’s side it would appear that I acquired a decent singing voice. I do enjoy singing and have been in both small groups and in choirs over the course of my life. I took vocal music in high school and at one point thought I would like to be a solo artist. But I knew I wasn’t sufficiently competitive, the industry was/is pretty cut-throat, and I wasn’t likely suited to it.


So here I am. It’s the writer’s life for me. God gave me a gift for words and a love of reading which goes hand-in-hand. I often think what a blessing it is that God has given many, if not all of us some form of creativity. He is the Creator, the One with the biggest imagination, and He made us in His image. Thus our creative abilities which bring us such joy.

How cool is that?
Every good present and every perfect gift comes from above, from the Father who made the sun, moon, and stars. The Father doesn’t change like the shifting shadows produced by the sun and the moon. (James 1:17, GW)
________________
Visit my website, www.susanbarclay.wordpress.com
for more about me and my writing 

1 comment:

  1. I can identify with you, Susan. I am not great in the visual arts, although years ago I used to sew some of my clothes. I enjoyed the challenge of picking out a pattern with lines that would suit me, fabric that would suit my colouring and work with the pattern, etc. Although I had some success and fun with this, I lost interest after my third child arrived and I went back to teaching part time.

    But picking up a paint brush, a pencil, or playing with pastels was waaay beyond me. Although singing is still a big part of my life, it was not a career direction either.

    For writing, I have been taking baby steps for decades, so maybe it is time for me to "grow up" in my writing. I have peeked ahead to Sandi's blog for July 1st and I think this is what I am going to have to look at seriously. Like you I enjoy reading and writing. I love words and a good turn of phrase, but it is time to get moving along this writing continuum.

    Thanks for your blog. I appreciate your sharing of the scripture verse that says, "Every good present and every perfect gift comes from above, from the Father who made the sun, moon, and stars." It really is time for me to respect the gift I've been given from the Father, and this will take some "grown-up" steps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.