June 19, 2016

In Conversation with My Creator - Joylene M. Bailey



I got my love for sewing and quilting from my Mom, who got it from her Mom. I guess you could say that sewing/quilting is a family tradition. 

Loving it is also a family tradition. 

My husband still enters my sewing space with trepidation because he remembers growing up with a mom who was grouchy every time she sewed. He is always surprised by how happy I am when I am at my sewing machine.



Mom always has another quilt on the go, and her eyes light up as she talks about colours and fabrics and new ways of quilting. She tells me that when she sews she bubbles with worship to her Creator. It is her form of worship. She gives God glory as she works with her hands.




We are created to create. So, when I create with fabric, thread, and quilting needles, I am giving back to my Creator. I am doing exactly what I was created to do. 

This conversation, this back and forth - Creator giving the desire and giftedness to create, Me giving back with worship and thanksgiving, He delighting in my creating - is a deeply spiritual thing. 

It is a Refreshing. 
A Cleansing. 
A place where things I'm struggling with in my "other" life come into focus and are seen from another perspective, because I am communicating with God, my Creator, when I sew.  


**********



My latest quilting project was a baby quilt for our newest granddaughter, who was born a month ago. 


Because I am not as good at it as Mom is, the quilt has some mistakes that I wouldn’t have made had I been more accomplished. But to be accomplished one has to spend hours and hours and hours of learning and practice, which I haven’t done ... yet.  

It's a lot like writing that way.

Still, I sew with the little expertise I have and hope that the love will show through. Meanwhile I’ll learn and grow with each project I work on, knowing that my Creator looks on with pleasure, as I take pleasure in creating.





**********




Joy sews and writes from Edmonton. You can check out more of her joy-infused writing at Scraps of Joy.

7 comments:

  1. God is so good to give us these creative gifts that we can enjoy and in turn give back to Him for His glory. Your piece reminds me so much of Eric Liddell, devout Scottish Christian who ran for God's glory. He said, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure" (Chariots of Fire movie, 1981).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote from Eric Liddell. Very true in whatever God has gifted us to do.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for another quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this "Joy-full" blog. I love what you are saying about your sewing/quilting: "We are created to create. So, when I create with fabric, thread, and quilting needles, I am giving back to my Creator. I am doing exactly what I was created to do."

    From there you go on to talk about your joyful conversation with God. I hadn't thought of using our creativity exactly like this before, but from now often I will attempt to do exactly that. Your mom provided a great role model for you, and now you are doing this for your readers, Joylene. I feel creative energy unravelling, but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. You're right, my Mom is a great role model - in more ways than one. I'm glad I could pass on a little of what she mentored for me.

      Delete
  4. "This conversation, this back and forth - Creator giving the desire and giftedness to create, Me giving back with worship and thanksgiving, He delighting in my creating - is a deeply spiritual thing." Beautiful expression of the way the spirit moves. Yes a spiritual thing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.