June 06, 2016

Drama Queen - The 'Other' Art Form

Seriously this is me. At first I used to fight the title, kicking and screaming; denying and justifying.

But I came to the realization that my dramatic personality is naught to try to run away from or to squelch.

When I was a wee lass in Scotland I remember being over the hills of Loch Lomond happy that I got the role of Mary in the school Christmas play. I don't remember a lot about it but I do remember loving the feeling of assuming the character of Mary and wondering if I could possibly 'pull it off and be believable'. I was doubly honoured when I got to bring my doll - Dianne (who I still have) along to play the part of Baby Jesus. The audience clapped and I was hooked.

All through school, as I was able, I was part of the drama team. I loved acting. I started to write plays and sketches and skits and thought how much fun that was, although I kept them hidden.

Then when I moved to Drayton, I was overjoyed to discover there was a wonderful theatre.
 Built in 1902, the majestic building still stood stately in the centre of the little bedroom community. I soon discovered the beautiful upstairs theatre complete with an amazing tin ceiling which afforded some incredible acoustics. And better yet, we soon learned that there was an amateur drama group in town that regularly presented plays to the community. I was bitten; stricken; moved; touched and dove in headfirst as soon as I saw the callout for local actors.

For many years both my husband and I got involved and were part of the Drayton Community Players. We had SO much fun. One year - for Christmas, actually - I was asked to write a play so that the Community Players could do something exclusively for the children of the area. I wrote Mother Goose's Christmas. I still have the scripts in my file after 25 plus years! What fun. What joy The first time I had seen my words acted out  'on stage'. I also produced the play so I was in my element.

The Drayton Community Players carried on acting and laughing and enjoying some wonderful fellowship over the years. I learned so much and took lots of classes and courses on acting and writing plays.

Then, when the professional theatre took over, it was curtains for us.

But God wasn't done. It was almost like he was setting the stage for me to do  something special.

About a year later, a friend and I started the Master's Voice Players (MVPs) at our church. What an amazing plan God put in place. I not only wrote many of our plays, I often collaborated with musicians to create some great cantatas. I loved those years. The MVPs grew and before we knew it we were ten years in and our group of wonderful young actors performed in many places including
churches, schools, and jails.

Our scripture verse was Acts 1:8b: "You will be able to be my witnesses in Jerusalem, all over Judea and Samaria, even to the ends of the world.”

We loved that and our MVP goal was to present the gospel through the power of prayer and through our combined love of the dramatic arts. 

Oh how I miss our group. It was a lot of work and a huge commitment, but I know God had His hand on us and how blessed we became with sweet  memories and forever friendships. 

I loved drama, although I was no professional. I think if I was younger I might have been persuaded to go back to school and learn so much more. But then again, as a leader of the MVPs, I ended up writing plays and instead of acting, I was producing. My love of the written word grew and I began to publish plays. I even wrote a Christian Actor's devotional [Eldridge Publishing] after a little nudge from God. He taught me so much. 

So yes, I am a drama queen, still to this day. My family all know that they can expect the unusual, but thank goodness they love me for my 'other' art form - or maybe I should say, despite my other art form. Thank goodness now, my energy is translated more often than not to the printed page, although I do express myself with flair and pizazz when I have a point to make. It's usually then that my family exit - stage left! 

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
Colossians 3:23



5 comments:

  1. I can relate! Nuf said. :)
    The MVPs sound like a wonderful, God ordained idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, Glynis, and one of a kind. You are Colossians 3:23 personified. Whatever you do, you work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, and not for human masters. Whether you are presenting a workshop, writing, organizing Word Challenge, cheering up another person, and it appears, acting, you do it with lots of enthusiasm. (EN + Theos means inspired or possessed by God.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved, loved, loved this post, Glynis. This is your best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I could feel the drama ... and joy ... in your post. Loved reading about your experiences in your 'other art form'.

    Thanks, Glynis, for being true to who He made you to be.
    Brenda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this delightful post-it resonated with energy and enthusiasm. And the Colossians 3 verse was a great reminder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.