April 18, 2016

Shoot For The Moon - A Lesson Learned from Apprenticeship - Gloria Guest


Super Moon - Photo taken by Reg Guest
I’ve never really thought of my life long pursuit of writing in terms of an apprenticeship but upon looking up the definition I realized that is what it has been. I particularly related to one definition which basically defined it as someone who works under an employer to learn a skill while agreeing to low wages. That pretty much sums up my entire time working in the trenches as a reporter; one of the more gruelling ways you can attempt to make a living with your words, but one well worth it if you are looking for excitement, love to work with deadlines or just have newspaper ink in your veins. Regardless, the lessons you will learn will be immeasurable and invaluable to your writing career and your life.

 According to another definition, an apprenticeship is a way of training in a trade or profession, often while employed but also including studying.  As writers we are always in some form of on the job training even if the job is simply our own task at hand; to submit an article, to publish a book or more. Life as a whole becomes our classroom as does the internet, writing groups, and/or writing classes.

This past fall I entered into an apprenticeship that has proven of immense value to me through partaking in two on-line writing classes from the University of Toronto; Intro To Creative Writing/Fiction and Writing Through Reading. Both classes are a part of a larger Creative Writing Certificate I hope to attain. In the first class, although I expected to know most of the material since it was an introductory class, I was surprised to find that there were many things I hadn’t learned previously. I am still more of a beginner than I realized! Writing is a craft after all and we never fully come to the end of developing that craft.

In the Introductory class I was challenged to go deeper with my character and plot development and gained a lot of insight into my own writing style through the comments of my instructor and other classmates. A strength that was pointed out was my realistic dialogue, with the suggestion that I could possibly do well writing script for plays, something I have thought of once or twice but hadn’t seriously considered. A weakness I discovered was Point Of View; learning how to use it best for each piece of writing I did and to not shift out of it. I so appreciated all of the constructive feedback that brought me along in POV.

Writing Through Reading was an immensely interesting class whereby we read various authors works and discussed them thoroughly within the group, thereby gleaning much knowledge as to story structure, plot, character and many other aspects of the piece. We then completed our own assignment based on what we had learned and often had the chance to re-work a piece for another assignment. In this class I developed my critique reading skills and editing skills. I was also strongly encouraged by my instructor and others to keep on writing my memoir; parts of which I had shared with them.

I have been bogged down in my writing life for quite a few years with aimlessness and no particular goals in sight. As Zig Ziglar said, “If you aim for nothing, you will hit it every time.” From taking these two classes I have now set a personal goal to finish my memoir within a year. I also plan on continuing with the classes to attain my Creative Writing Certificate and to start the Editing Certificate through Simon Fraser University in B.C.

These goals are setting the bar pretty high for me and I don’t expect them to be easy. I may even fail at some of them or at all. But as Norman Vincent Peale so famously said, “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

15 comments:

  1. I love your ambition and goals Gloria. They seem very realistic and worthwhile in taking your writing skill to a higher level. Your post has left me with a lot to think about regarding my own "apprenticeship". I guess we reach our goals one step at a time right? Keep up your great work Goria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alan. Always the encourager :) Yes, my writing has always gone at a slower pace but I seem to need to do it that way. It's more like a stroll than a race but I guess those of us who travel that way get to see the scenery better and soak in everything around us.

      Delete
  2. Gloria,
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and goals with us. The writing courses sound like they were wonderful learning times, but also an encouragement to you. Bravo for setting goals. Praying that God will bless and strengthen you to do the writing He has for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth. I have never set many goals in my writing but taking the classes really inspired me.

      Delete
  3. All the best as you continue on with your goals. It was wonderful to hear about what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. I realize that by sharing it helps make me accountable. I really appreciate this group and all of the encouragement that everyone has given.

      Delete
  4. Your courses sound really interesting and it sounds like they have caused you to practice writing and revived your motivation to write. Great idea!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a real challenge Pam!! Why is it that everytime you start something new everything else seems to rise up to make it difficult?? At any rate, I did get through them with the desire to do more :) I find I tend to need a class or deadline to inspire me.

      Delete
  5. You are definitely moving forward and sound very peaceful with the plan that is in place for your writing! Inspiring to know, even after a season of what seems aimless, we are still on the right path to what is next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn. Yes, even when we feel lost, God is at work in our lives.

      Delete
  6. Goals are wonderful! You won't know the outcome, until you try. I wish you all the best as you work to obtain your Creative Writing Certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Vickie! I'm excited to see how far I get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That "Writing Through Reading" course sounds intriguing--like something I would find helpful. I'll have to think about that. Thanks for all your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the course Connie. It really showed me that there is so much more reading I could do and so much to learn from the writings of some fantastic authors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gloria, this is very helpful to me. I don't know much about university writing courses and programs, but after reading about your experiences I see how they can be valuable and may look into it for myself. Wishing you continued encouragement and inspiration as you continue your classes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.