January 06, 2016

TEA TIME by Glynis M. Belec

I laughed my head off when I read the boxes. The packaging was more than pretty and the box beautifully made. A perfect exterior. A delightful and alluring presentation.

The variety of tea that beckoned me to sample was lovely. The Black Tea Chai, spicy and warming, had kept its promise earlier today, as outlined on the back of the cute triangular box. The Lemongrass, Ginger and Citrus did refresh my palate for a mere moment this afternoon.

I was enjoying this thoughtful gift.

Then I looked at the Slim Me tea. I admit I laughed at the title but took the bait.

Sure enough, the written word on the box indicated that if I incorporated this invigorating infusion into my calorie controlled diet, it would aid me in reaching my ‘mini me’ goals. Ha!

I just had to read the Detox Me box. Another wild promise. It was going to cleanse me through and through for a better me.

I tried them both later in the day. Nothing. I didn’t have a cookie with my tea but still no weight loss. What? But it said if I cut back on calories the magic tea would work.  And as far as the Detox Me, flavour of the evening, no change. But they promised one little teabag would make a difference. And, poof. Nothing. What’s with that?

As I contemplated the Revive Me or Oolong next, it occurred to me how fed up I get with false promises in the world (not that I thought for one moment my lovely tea would do anything in the big picture of my life.) The world is full of charm and deceit. Not a surprise. A nice analogy at best.

Sipping away on the Oolong, I felt no sun pampering or sauna-like experience. The Revive Me was nice to the palate but it sure didn’t put a spring back into my step.

I kept sitting and sipping and thinking. I thought about the new year and resolutions and my own un-kept promises in the past.  I thought about the changes in my life and the goals I need to make for 2016.

Specific goals, it has been said, are the best. Instead of saying I am going to write more, say, I will write at least 500 words a day and journal every other night.

Instead of saying I am going to read the Bible more, I will say, I will read a chapter a night starting from Genesis.

Instead of saying I am going to be kinder, I will say, I will bite my tongue when I want to lash out trying to prove my brilliance.

Instead of saying I will love deeper, I will say I love you more often and make sure my words match my actions.

Instead of saying I will help newbie writers more, I will say, I will get in touch with my new writer friends and offer some helpful tips, taking time to really listen without monopolizing the conversation.

I am hoping, planning, praying that my actions will speak louder than words on a teabox. But I know the only way that will happen is if I lean on the Lord for strength and direction.

 
I’m feeling deep in my soul that this just might be the year that it becomes less about me and more about Him.

Look at that. I already feel a spring in my step! And no tea. I’m thinking I might drink in a little more of that Sweet Revival. This infusion seems to be working.

                                        ****

And the Lord answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it. For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.  Habakkuk 2:2-3 

10 comments:

  1. Definitely a warming post and worth the wait! Very practical too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. I know you know there is deeper meaning behind 'worth the wait!' Bless you for your patience and assistance! ;) Happy New Year

      Delete
  2. This resonated with me, Glynis - "The world is full of charm and deceit." Perfectly describes our Western world. I am less susceptible since I began PVRing all television programs and am no longer subjected to advertisements, though. I even refuse to look at billboards when I'm driving! It at least filters out some of the more blatant charm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do that too, Bobbi, with the PVR I never thought I would appreciate that beast of technology (or get the hang of it) but it serves us well o obliterating all the 'charm and deceit' so prevalent today. A filter is good but every so often I have to clean mine out to make sure it's functioning properly. The Word helps, doesn't it? x

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:01 am GMT-7

    Drinking in the sweet revival tea of life, ingredients of faith, hope, and love. I think that could be a best-seller! hmmm...I believe it already is--the Word. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I need to get me some of that kind of inspirational "tea".

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tea-riffic post. Two of my favourite teas are 'Feeling soothed' and Feeling Restored" -if only the changes could be drunk in that easily. I appreciated the verse from Habakkuk as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:26 pm GMT-7

    I always like such practical words - specific goals. And to see an example of what I'm being told. Thank you Glynis. Sometimes I'm afraid to make such specific promises, because then I will have no excuse for not following through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is more truth in humour than there is in packaging and advertising. I appreciate your take on this as the build-up to Habakkuk 2: 2-3. We must take time to write down those words and visions that come to us. We need to write them plain so our readers with get what we're saying and run with that idea. Our words must speak the truth, God's truth. I love the reminder to be patient: " . . . for still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay. Thanks, Glynis. I will wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha--I LOVE your voice, Glynis. Humorous, with a strong focus on truth. So good. I am wondering if you watched the same webinar about setting goals as I did: Michael Hyatt? About being specific with your goals? And yes, I think Sweet Revival tea is the best tea for rejuvenating our souls, spirits, minds and bodies.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.