February 06, 2013

I Love My Job - Glynis Belec

  by Glynis M. Belec

I love you, God - you make me strong. Psalm 18:1
I love my job. In fact, I love both my jobs. I teach and I write. My schedule is reasonably flexible and thus it allows me to do other important things, like care for my elderly poppa bear. How blessed I am. I find strength in You, Lord. Thanks for having my back.
 



Joy is the serious business of Heaven. ~ C. S. Lewis

My list is long on any given day, and in the past I was bound and determined to base my joy on what I struck off the list. Oddly, I never seemed to 'arrive.' Time to base my joy on heavenly achievements rather than how much I accomplish in a day.


 Now go, write it before them in a table, and note it in a book, that it may be for the time to come for ever and ever. Isaiah 30:8 

Today I dug out my trusty leather-book cover and tucked my new planner inside, snug and intentional. I really have tried in the past to create schedules, budgets, to-do lists and the like on my computer, but there is something comforting about pen and paper and the feel and texture of handwritten words on a page. I love recording submissions in my big, green ledger that my mother gave me years ago.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My heart is stirred by a noble theme as I recite my verses for the king; my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.  Psalm 45:1

My decision to reduce my lengthy to-do list happened this past weekend. I sat down and realistically wrote out three major things to accomplish. I did them. I crossed them off my list. I had even done something else so I wrote that on my list and crossed it out, too. It felt jolly good. I am ready, Lord. Open the door.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
  

Of making many books there is no end and much study is wearisome to the flesh.  Ecclesiastes 12:12b

On those days when I feel compelled to write but cannot find the time, I jot down notes for later. I find if I tell myself to remember,  invariably, I forget. This compulsion to write consumes. I sometimes chide myself and think how much easier a 9-5 job would be. But my brain does not shut down after 5. 24/7 my mind bursts with ideas. Even when I am tired my brain continues on the journey.


Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Words can be deadly weapons. I make it my goal to be honest and sincere with my words yet if I discovered somehow that I hurt someone with thoughtless inaccuracies, improper research, misguided ramblings, my soul would be saddened. Make my words sweet, Lord (for tomorrow I may have to eat them.)

  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
                     
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

I have decided to realize I am already in the middle of God's great plan and that I am not just waiting for it to happen. I do that too often. Waiting; thinking that once this is done or once that has been accomplished then God will act in my life and I will get my book published; I will have enough income to write from dusk until dawn; I will be free to work unabashedly for the Kingdom. Today I acknowledge that God is doing a good work in my life [already.]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
Romans 15:4

I love to write. I love to write short stories. I love to write short stories because I have trouble keeping my mind focused for long periods of time. I love to read. I love to read short stories. I love to read short stories from God's word because they are timeless and meaningful and a holy communication with God, the Father.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!
Psalms 143:10 

Somewhere I read that we need to keep in mind that there really are only two days in one week - today and tomorrow. I laughed when I heard that statement but the more I contemplate it, the more I appreciate the wisdom of those words. I surely don't want to waste my today and tomorrow by living in  yesterday. Teach me to do Your will, God. My soul yearns for the tomorrow that you will so generously bestow upon me once again.





4 comments:

  1. Glynis... I could feel the joyful energy as I read your post this morning!

    Of all the things you've shared today, I especially stopped at the bit when you said you realized you are already in the middle of God's great plan and you're not just waiting for it to happen.

    Oh yes.... I'm taking that reminder for myself on this beautiful day.

    Thank you Glynis!



    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your ruminations, Glynis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was just splendid! First, I loved the way you took a verse and then reflected on a similar theme. I really liked the idea that there are only two days in a week - today and tomorrow. And it resonated when you said you used to equate joy with how many things you scratched off your list... I've been there. thanks for an all around wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of good thoughts to remember and inspire. Thanks, Glynis!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.