May 03, 2012

Just Do It - Janis Cox












The best thing for writing is to do it. Yes, that is what I have found out this year.

I joined The Gypsy Mama with my blog A Better Way, for a five minute post each Friday. That means every Friday I have five minutes to write on a challenge word. It is fascinating. I set a timer and I write. Not only does it inspire me it keeps me from procrastination. And it keeps me from the need for perfection.

A few weeks ago I pushed myself further in my writing. Now I write a recall of a Sunday sermon on Mondays. I have always been one to take notes in church and somehow this seemed to be the right thing to do. So far - so good.

For almost two years, I have written every Friday at Under the Cover of Prayer. Sometimes that becomes a challenge but somehow by God's strength, wisdom and inspiration I manage to get the post up.

And of course there is my once a month Inscribe posting, which I need to remember as well.

So if you are not writing - my advice to you is

JUST DO IT!

The more we do and practice a craft, the better we get. I remember reading a book called Outliers. One chapter dealt with the statistics of how many hours it takes to become an expert. It turned out to be ten thousand hours. I have a ways to go.

If you are not writing a lot and want to get better - then write.





Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan is working on a couple children’s books in which she is also the watercolour illustrator. To connect - email Jan.


3 comments:

  1. What a good word, Jan! I enjoyed hearing what you do to keep at your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:10 pm GMT-7

    I too try to post something on my personal blog (Precious Moments) what I've learned from Sunday sermon.
    Friday is the day, I usually post something on Precious Moments.
    I may take your tip and join Gypsie Mama and try out that too.
    Enjoy reading your posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right Jan. There's no other way to write than to write! I must check out your blog. Then I'll get straight to writing. haha
    Pam M.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.