January 29, 2012

10 Reasons I Write - Ruth L. Snyder




Every once in a while it is healthy for us to stop and evaluate why we are doing what we do. Some people hate New Year's resolutions. I appreciate the opportunity to review the past year, evaluate what I have been doing, and make goals for the next year. Writing the goals in a notebook helps me track progress and challenges me to be serious about my writing. However, if I don't know WHY I'm writing, it is hard to set goals. Here are ten reasons I write:
  1. I enjoy writing. Some people enjoy sports, others gardening or cooking. I enjoy the challenge of clearly communicating thoughts using words.
  2. Writing forces me to learn new things. In order to share information, I need to process it and understand it myself. In order to share my writing I have learned how to use Twitter, Blogger, and Wordpress. I am currently learning about inbound marketing.
  3. Writing allows me to encourage people. When I was in high school I had a teacher who never smiled. I made it my goal to put a smile on his face every time I saw him. There are many people who need something to smile about. Writing is a tool I can use to encourage others.
  4. Writing is good therapy. Some people find it therapeutic to talk through their problems. I would rather write out my thoughts and process my struggles personally.
  5. I have a unique perspective. I know I'm not the only writer in the world, or necessarily the best writer in the world. However, I have experienced many things others have not experienced and may never be able to experience. I can share my unique perspective through writing to encourage, inspire, and motivate others.
  6. Poor writing frustrates me. Most writers are avid readers. I am no exception. Sometimes when I read material that is poorly written, it motivates me to write well.
  7. Writing is a gift that must be polished. People are born with varying abilities. Those of us who have the ability to communicate through words need to hone and polish our God-given gift. We can read examples of great writing, take classes, listen to webinars, join a critique group, and join groups like Inscribe Christian Writers' Fellowship, but most of all WRITE!
  8. Writing helps me communicate information. One of my tasks as a school board trustee is to communicate with the people who live in the Bonnyville area of Alberta. Writing is one way I can pass information on to them. Technology allows people access to this information 24/7. 
  9. Writing helps me remember. I learn best by writing while I'm listening. Taking notes also allows me to review what I heard months or years later and remember.
  10. I have to write. People who do not write may not understand this point. However, I write because I have to write. If I don't write, I find myself frustrated and antsy.
These are reasons I write. How about you? I look forward to hearing why you write.

6 comments:

  1. I will write poetry if only with a burnt stick on my cell's stone wall. I will strive to make it a challenge and encouragement. I will strive to make it a channel of resurrection life if only with a few feeble scratches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Charles. Sounds like you have many of the same reasons for writing as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! Thank you for sharing;.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! Do you want to share why you write?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth,
    To your question why I write, I can honestly say that I'm convinced like many of you I'm called to write and share God's love and faithfulness.Unlike most writers, I'm not passionate about writing.I"ll be lying if I say I enjoy writing and can't be without writing. But I keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing and for choosing to obey God and bless others!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.