August 27, 2010

Dependency - Karen Toews

My husband and I are full bore into a land-development, house-building project. From our travel-trailer-cum-temporary-home, I've watched walls going up, sheeting being nailed on, beams being delivered for next week's placement. To get to this stage, from a chunk of land, has taken fourteen weeks - the action and production is impressive, but this progress would not have happened without depending on others for physical help and supportive planning.

Like a lot of people, I like being independent. Needing to rely on a neighbour's washing machine rather than drive to a laundromat (or whack my socks on the river rocks!) and using another neighbour's internet network and phone isn't a position that sits well with me. I am honestly grateful for these sincerely generous people but it must be bothersome for them, and it's an adjustment for me to be dependent on others' schedules to perform simple tasks.

We've been blessed with two great kids, whose lives have infinitely enriched us. They live large, willing to follow God's leading, even if/when it's different from the status quo. They live in different countries and in different circumstances; recently life tossed both of them challenges where they needed to seek support and help beyond themselves. It can be humbling to be dependent, at any age.

To get much work done demands dependence on other people.
To preserve sanity in a small living space you need the kindness of others.
To survive life's side-swipes, you have to call for help.

I've been reading Psalms from The Message by Eugene H. Peterson. Chapter 28:2: "I'm letting you know what I need, calling out for help and lifting my arms toward your inner sanctum," and "When I was desperate, I called out, and God got me out of a tight spot. God's angel sets up a circle of protection around us while we pray....Blessed are you who run to him," chapter 34:6,7, 8b.

We have a God who desires our complete dependency: "I've thrown myself headlong into your arms - I'm celebrating your rescue. I'm singing at the top of my lungs, I'm so full of answered prayers." chapter 13:5,6

I purpose to do it!




1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.